They say it’s not how you start but how you finish.
Never was that more true than Saturday night as the hometown Grande Prairie Athletics blitzed the Manning Comets 10-3.
MAN led 1-0 after the first period but the A’s erupted for five second period goals to take a 5-2 lead. They increased the margin to 10-2 in the third before a late power play goal in the final minute from Matt Boyd ended the scoring.
GP certainly spread the wealth around as nine different players scored. Dennis Rix potted a pair while Tanner Labbe, Morgan MacLean, Darion Fay, Braden Crone, Parker Sharp, Sam Bosek, Tyrone Kipling and Kevin Neustater added the others. Sheldon McArthur, Riley Jebb and Tyrell Mason each added three assists.
Thomas Dechant and Dave Lawrence scored the other MAN goals.
GP was 3-for-8 on the PP with Bosek, Labbe and Fay scoring the goals.
MAN has now lost 10 straight games in GP since a 6-1 win 18 years ago on Oct. 30, 2000. MAN has also not defeated GP in 16 years since an 8-7 home ice win Nov. 23, 2002.
Comets 3 at Athletics 10
Saturday, Nov. 24
1. MAN, Dave Lawrence 5 (Jason Lambert) 12:24
2. GP, Braden Crone 6 (Tyrell Mason, Riley Jebb) 3:18
3. GP, Morgan MacLean 3 (unassisted) 4:15
4. GP, Sam Bosek 1 (Sheldon McArthur, Riley Jebb) 9:57 (pp)
5. GP, Dennis Rix 3 (Blake Clement) 14:34
6. MAN, Thomas Dechant 3 (Matt Boyd, Joel Henitiuk) 15:07
7. GP, Tanner Labbe 2 (Sheldon McArthur, Parker Sharp) 16:48 (pp)
Penalties: Jesse Pedersen MAN (hooking) 1:13, Dennis Rix GP (interference) 2:00, Jordy Greschner MAN (tripping) 2:14, Tyrone Kipling GP (hooking) 5:26, Morgan MacLean GP (tripping) 5:54, Tyler Dillman MAN (delay of game) 6:51, Jordy Greschner MAN (interference) 8:27, Blake Clement GP (slashing) and Brock Clement GP (misconduct) 11:49, Brett Nicklason MAN (slashing) 16:05, Jordy Greschner MAN (roughing) 19:03.
8. GP, Darion Fay 1 (Morgan MacLean, Tyrell Mason) 00:36 (pp)
9. GP, Dennis Rix 4 (Riley Jebb) 1:44
10. GP, Parker Sharp 2 (Sheldon McArthur, Tyrell Mason) 12:56
11. GP, Kelvin Neustater 4 (Sam Bosek) 13:44
12. GP, Tyrone Kipling 1 (Kelvin Neustater) 17:42
13. MAN, Matt Boyd 1 Tyler Dillman, Koel Henitiuk) 19:12 (pp)
Penalties: Jesse Pedersen MAN (slashing) 5:07, Tyler Dillman MAN (slashing) 7:21, Tanner Labbe GP (interference) 18:09.
Shots on goal:
Manning 11 6 8 -25
Grande Prairie 18 23 17 -58 Goaltenders: Comets, Braden Gamble (Beau Fedorowicz in at 10:21 of third period); Athletics, Tyler Boe.
Power Plays: MAN 1-4; GP 3-8.
Penalties in Minutes: MAN 16; GP 20.