The Manning Comets are off to the NPHL Semi-Finals to face the Dawson Creek Canucks, thanks to Taylor Paulovich’s goal at 1:16 of overtime Saturday.
The goal gave MAN a 5-4 win over the Grimshaw Huskies in the East Division Semi-Final, which saw the last three games decided by one goal, two in overtime.
The win also saw MAN come back from deficits of 1-0 and 2-1.
Bond Hawryluk scored the only goal to give GRIM a 1-0 lead in a penalty-free first period.
In the second, Payton Proskurniak scored the first of his two goals on the night in the first minute. Shortly after, Mark Simpson, who enjoyed a three-point night with a goal and two assists, restored GRIM’s lead at 2-1.
Matt Boyd’s first of two goals on the night tied the game, then Proskurniak added his second with 1:58 left in the period to give MAN a 3-2 lead.
In the third, Boyd scored on a power play at 2:46 to give MAN a 4-2 lead.
But GRIM did not go down quietly. Izaak Hudson scored his first of the playoffs on a power play and GRIM was back in the game. Cole Diewert tied the game 4-4 with 2:53 left sending it to overtime and setting up Paulovich’s heroics.
MAN will now try to win its first NPHL Semi-Final series in 30 years against DC, their last win coming in 1988-89 when they defeated the Falher Pirates in six games.
Check NPHL.com for the release of the series schedule later today.
Huskies 4 at Comets 5 (OT)
Saturday, Feb. 16
[Comets win series 4-2]
1. GH, Bond Hawryluk 1 (Christian Kenny, Dylan Moore) 12:48
2. MAN, Payton Proskurniak 2 (Matt Boyd, Josh Rutherford) 00:54
3. GH, Mark Simpson 4 (Cole Diewert, Ty Wiebe) 1:49
4. MAN, Matt Boyd 5 (Josh Rutherford, Joel Henitiuk) 3:12
5. MAN, Payton Proskurniak 3 (Taylor Paulovich, Tyler Dillman) 18:02
Penalties: Mark Simpson GH (interference) 8:50, Payton Proskurniak MAN (roughing, misconduct) 18:22.
6. MAN, Matt Boyd 6 (Josh Rutherford, Michael Gillen) 2:46 (pp)
7. GH, Izaak Hudson 1 (Mark Simpson) 5:41 (pp)
8. GH, Cole Diewert 1 (Ty Wiebe, Mark Simpson) 17::07
Penalties: Lowen Lambert GH (boarding, cross-checking) 1:59, Jeremie Perron MAN (tripping) 4:59, Lowen Lambert GH (roughing) and Logan Newman MAN (cross-checking) 5:18, Jeremie Perron MAN (roughing) 9:25.
9. MAN, Taylor Paulovich 4 (Layne MacLean) 1:16
Shots on goal:
Grimshaw 14 13 9 1 -37
Manning 13 7 15 1 -36 Goaltenders: Huskies, Bud Dyck; Comets, Braden Gamble.
Power Plays: GRIM 1-3; MAN 1-3.
Penalties in Minutes: GRIM 8; MAN 18.