Taylor Paulovich scored three goals to lead the Manning Comets to a 6-5 home ice victory over the Grimshaw Huskies Friday night.
With the win, MAN passed GRIM for second place in the NPHL’s East Division standings with 12 points [6-7-0-0], one point more than GRIM [5-5-1-0].
Paulovich’s effort helped the Comets overcome several penalties which saw them only have one power play in the game compared to GRIM’s nine. Paulovich’s second goal of the night, in the second period, was on the PP.
Jason Lambert gave MAN the early lead but Ty Wiebe, who would also score three goals on the night, Hunter Millar [on a PP] and Bond Hawryluk gave GRIM a 3-1 lead after one period.
The second period was all MAN. Paulovich scored twice while Josh Rutherford and Brett Nicklason added other goals to give MAN a 5-3 lead.
In the third period, Paulovich completed his hat trick at the 3:17 mark. Wiebe also completed his hat trick with a pair of goals in the final three minutes to close the gap but GRIM could not equalize.
GRIM outshot the Huskies 45-25 but Braden Gamble made 40 saves to record the win.
The home team has won all three meetings this season: MAN has won 6-5 and 5-3; GRIM at home 5-1.
GRIM is at FAL Saturday while MAN travels to High Prairie.
Huskies 5 at Comets 6
Fri., Dec. 21
1. MAN, Jason Lambert 1 (Britt Olischefski) 4:23
2. GH, Ty Wiebe 10 (Brendan Hawryluk, Kale Helgeson) 8:11 (pp)
3. GH, Hunter Millar 1 (Cole Diewert) 10:15
4. GH, Bond Hawryluk 7 (Spencer Ross, Ty Wiebe) 11:15
Penalties: Josh Rutherford MAN (roughing) 00:34, Spencer Ross GH and Mason Blais MAN (roughing) and Britt Olischefski MAN (instigating minor, fighting major, game misconduct) 4:23, Payton Proskurniak MAN (cross-checking) 9:08.
5. MAN, Taylor Paulovich 6 (Josh Rutherford) 3:41
6. MAN, Taylor Paulovich 7 (Jordy Greschner, Thomas Dechant) 11:18 (pp)
7. MAN, Josh Rutherford 11 (unassisted) 11:47
8. MAN, Brett Nicklason 2 (Michael Vreeling, Thomas Dechant) 18:41
Penalties: Lance Rapson GH (double roughing minor) and Bo Asmussen MAN and Payton Proskurniak MAN (roughing) and Brett Nicklason MAN (tripping) 8:55, Bond Hawryluk GH (hooking) 10:04, Adam Larsen MAN (interference) 16:25.
9. MAN, Taylor Paulovich 8 (Thomas Dechant) 3:17
10. GH, Ty Wiebe 11 (Colter Wiebe, Bond Hawryluk) 18:36
11. GH, Ty Wiebe 12 (Brendan Hawryluk) 17:55
Penalties: Lance Rapson GH and Mason Blais MAN (roughing) 10:20, Tyler Dillman MAN (cross-checking) 12:53.
Shots on goal:
Grimshaw 17 9 19 -45
Manning 8 12 5 -25 Goaltenders: Huskies, Cory Houlder; Comets, Braden Gamble.
Power Plays: GH 2-9; MAN 1-1.
Penalties in Minutes: GH 10; MAN 35.