Ryan Forbes’ unassisted short-handed goal with 7:19 left lifted the visiting Fort St. John Flyers to a 7-5 win over the Grimshaw Huskies Tuesday night.
The goal halted a GRIM rally which saw them rally from a 4-2 second period deficit to tie the game. It also enabled FSJ to keep its perfect record all-time in GRIM alive at 8-0; FSJ is also 15-1 in their history vs GRIM.
Rylan Sideroff and Jaxon Glass, with his first of two on the night, gave FSJ a quick 2-0 lead just after seven minutes.
Ty Wiebe scored GRIM’s only first period goal.
In the second period, Clayton Bahm’s first of the season and Glass gave FSJ a 4-1 lead but Corson Fairless scored to pull GRIM to within two at 4-2.
In the third period, GRIM’s Brendan Hawryluk and FSJ’s Robbie Sidhu traded early goals and FSJ led 5-3. However, Bond Hawryluk and Brendan Hawryluk scored power play goals to tie the game with 10:25 remaining.
Sidhu was called for boarding and GRIM went on the power play but Forbes’ goal gave FSJ the lead they would not surrender. Jeff Shipton added a power play goal shortly after to seal the win.
What the loss means to Grimshaw
In the battle for second place in the East Division, Manning [10-10-0-0 for 20 points] leads GRIM [7-11-3-0 for 17 points]. It sets up a huge game when the two teams play in GRIM Jan. 24.
In short, MAN clinches second place with a win of any type – regulation time, overtime or a shootout because MAN wins any possible tie with GRIM.
An OT or SO loss also benefits MAN as they would have a two-point lead over GRIM with 3 games left to GRIM’s 2 and hold the tiebreaker.
Flyers 7 at Huskies 5
Tue., Jan. 22
1. FSJ, Rylan Sideroff 2 (Joey Massingham, Ryan Forbes) 3:53
2. FSJ, Jaxon Glass 3 (Brandon Pfeil, Robbie Sidhu) 6:17
3. GH, Ty Wiebe 21 (unassisted) 10:56
Penalties: Jordan Gies FSJ (unsportsmanlike) and Brendan Hawryluk GH (cross-checking) 7:30, Lowen Lambert GH (slashing) 7:53, Lien Miller-Jeannotte FSJ (hooking) 18:35.
4. FSJ, Clayton Bahm 1 (Rylan Sideroff, Lien Miller-Jeannotte) 6:20
5. FSJ, Jaxon Glass 4 (Brandon Pfeil, Lien Miller-Jeannotte) 18:00
6. GH, Corson Fairless 6 (Bond Hawryluk, Clint Polukoshko) 18:35
Penalties: Kyle Richardson GH (tripping) 3:57, FSJ bench minor (too many men, served by Jordan Gies) 9:13, Bond Hawryluk GH (high-sticking) 9:44, Reid Campbell FSJ (interference) 9:56, Davis Rose GH (high-sticking) 19:00.
7. GH, Brendan Hawryluk 19 (unassisted) 2:41
8. FSJ, Robbie Sidhu 7 (Joey Massingham, Jaxon Glass) 5:02
9. GH, Bond Hawryluk 15 (Brendan Hawryluk, Corson Fairless) 7:20 (pp)
10. GH, Brendan Hawryluk 20 (unassisted) 9:35 (pp)
11. FSJ, Ryan Forbes 3 (unassisted) 12:41 (sh)
12. FSJ, Jeff Shipton 5 (Clayton Bahm, Rick Cleaver) 13:28 (pp)
Penalties: Clayton Bahm FSJ (holding) 6:58, Robbie Sidhu FSJ (unsportsmanlike) 9:31, Robbie Sidhu FSJ (boarding) 11:12, Kyle Richardson GH (tripping) 13:22, Clint Polukoshko GH (tripping) 16:11.
Shots on goal:
Fort St. John 11 17 7 -35
Grimshaw 10 11 10 -31 Goaltenders: Flyers, Travis McLean; Huskies, Alex Sawchuk.
Power Plays: FSJ 1-4; GH 2-6.
Penalties in Minutes: FSJ 14; GH 14.