For the third straight game the Grimshaw Huskies and High Prairie Regals battled to a 6-5 decision.
This time, however, GRIM won, and it wasn’t in overtime.
The Huskies scored a big 6-5 win in High Prairie Jan. 17 to overtake the Manning Comets for second place in the East Division. GRIM [7-9-3-0] for 17 points, passed MAN [8-10-0-0] 16 points in the race for second in the East Division.
HP is destined for last place, trailing MAN by seven points with only five games left; MAN has six.
Five times GRIM took the lead in the game and five times HP tied the game. Colter Wiebe’s third period goal with 2:59 left decided the game and gave GRIM a 6-5 lead.
Bond Hawryluk scored three goals to lead GRIM including a power play goal and shorthanded goal. Clint Reid, with his first of the season, and Logan Putio added the other goals.
Dakota Conroy scored twice for HP, with singles going to Kirk Ruecker, Chris LeGresley, and Isaiah Letendre.
HP outshot GRIM 49-31.
The GRIM win gave them a season series split with each team winning three games. However, GRIM did lose two OT games and HP one in a shootout. If the teams tie at the end of the season, GRIM would win the tiebreaker.
Huskies 6 at Regals 5
Thursday, Jan. 17
1. GH, Bond Hawryluk 12 (unassisted) 3:31 (sh)
2. HP, Dakota Conroy 2 (Hector Lamouche, Isaiah Letendre) 7:31
Penalties: Kevin Schlack GH (interference) 2:09.
3. GH, Bond Hawryluk 13 (Brendan Hawryluk, Ty Wiebe) 2:01 (pp)
4. HP, Dakota Conroy 3 (Isaiah Letendre, Brendan Cunningham) 3:37
5. GH, Clint Reid 1 (Lowen Lambert, Kevin Schlack) 9:30
6. HP, Kirk Ruecker 2 (Austin Doan) 14:30
7. GH, Bond Hawryluk 14 (Ty Wiebe) 18:56
Penalties: Brendan Cunningham HP (roughing) 00:35, Claude Cunningham HP (roughing) 4:51, Mark Simpson GH and Jamie MacMinn HP (roughing) 7:00, Brendan Cunningham HP (interference) 7:29, Mark Simpson GH (tripping) 12:08.
8. HP, Isaiah Letendre 4 (Hector Lamouche, Dakota Conroy) 1:17
9. GH, Logan Putio 3 (Davis Rose, Kevin Schlack) 5:45
10. HP, Chris LeGresley 5 (Lloyd AhKimNachie, Kirk Ruecker) 16:28
11. GH, Colter Wiebe 6 (Clint Reid, Hunter Millar) 17:01
Shots on goal:
Grimshaw 12 12 7 -31
High Prairie 17 14 18 -49 Goaltenders: Huskies, Bud Dyck; Regals, Matt MacMinn.
Power Plays: GH 1-3; HP 0-2.
Penalties in Minutes: GH 6; HP 8.