The early season woes continue for the High Prairie Regals while the Grimshaw Huskies are now the only team in the NPHL not to lose in regulation time season.
GRIM outgunned HP 10-5 Nov. 29 to increase their record to 4-0-1-0 while the Regals dropped to 0-6-0-1. The two points increased GRIM’s early season hold on first place in the NPHL’s East Division.
GRIM led 2-0 in the first period but HP came back to tie the game in the second period; GRIM then led 3-2 in the second before HP tied the game again.
However, GRIM then scored four straight goals by the 7:15 mark of the third period to lead 7-3 and coasted home.
Despite the 10 goals, GRIM put up some odd stats in spreading around the scoring wealth. Nine different Huskies scored in the win and no player recorded more than three points. No player had as many as three assists and 16 different GRIM players had at least one point.
Bond Hawryluk scored twice for GRIM, once on the power play, as GRIM was 4-for-7 on the night – their PP was ranked first in the NPHL heading into the game. Christian Kenny, Sheldon Szmata and Colter Wiebe added PPGs while Corson Fairless, Logan Putio, Davis Rose and Mark Simpson added even-strength goals. Ty Wiebe added a SHG, the first of the season for GRIM.
Drake Cunningham scored twice to lead HP, once on the PP. Luc L’L’Hirondelle, Hector Lamouche and Chris LeGresley added the others. LeGresley’s effort was SH and also the first SHG for HP this season.
GRIM has now won both meetings vs HP this season, having won 9-8 in a shootout on Nov. 22.
GRIM is now 8-1 at home vs HP in the last nine games and seven of the eight wins were by at least three goals.
Regals 5 at Huskies 10
Thursday, Nov. 29
1. GH, Bond Hawryluk 3 (Brendan Hawryluk, Christian Kenny) 7:58
2. GH, Ty Wiebe 5 (unassisted) 16:32 (sh)
Penalties: Luc L’Hirondelle HP (cross-checking) 1:40, Colter Wiebe GRIM (slashing) 4:30, Austin Doan HP and Brandon Bogdanek GRIM (roughing) 14:30, Lawrence Anderson HP and Davis Rose GRIM (misconducts) 14:51, Huskies’ bench minor (served by Kurt Konopelka) 14:52, Sheldon Szmata GRIM (hooking) 19:54.
3. HP, Drake Cunningham 1 (Chris LeGresley, Lloyd AhKimNachie) 1:29 (pp)
4. HP, Drake Cunningham 2 (Lloyd AhKimNachie) 4:43
5. GH, Christian Kenny 1 (Ty Wiebe, Bond Hawryluk) 5:48 (pp)
6. HP, Chris LeGresley 4 (Lloyd AhKimNachie) 8:46 (sh)
7. GH, Sheldon Szmata 1 (Matt Flette, Clint Reid) 9:06 (pp)
8. GH, Bond Hawryluk 4 (Kale Helgeson, Ty Wiebe) 9:40 (pp)
9. GH, Mark Simpson 2 (unassisted) 17:55
Penalties: Mikal Chalifoux – VanDeLigt HP (high-sticking double minor) 7:28, Drake Cunningham HP (roughing) 10:26, Brendan Cunningham HP (roughing) and Clint Reid GH (interference) 16:39.
10. GH, Colter Wiebe 3 (Carson Ewing, Sheldon Szmata) 7:15 (pp)
11. HP, Luc L’Hirondelle 2 (Claude Cunningham) 8:46
12. GH, Corson Fairless 3 (Matt Flette) 10:35
13. GH, Davis Rose 2 (Carson Ewing) 11:46
14. HP, Hector Lamouche 2 (Claude Cunningham, Luc L’Hirondelle) 11:54
15. GH, Logan Putio 1 (Loewen Lambert, Brandon Bogdanek) 12:23
Penalties: Brendan Cunningham HP (holding) 7:09, Kurt Konopelka GH (cross-checking) 14:32, Brendan Cunningham HP (slashing major, game misconduct) and Drake Cunningham HP and Izaak Hudson (roughing) 17:50.
Shots on goal:
High Prairie 9 11 9 -29
Grimshaw 10 18 17 -45 Goaltenders: Matt MacMinn (Ryan Penchuk in at
7:15 of third period); Huskies, David Gingera.
Power Plays: HP 1-4; GRIM 4-7.
Penalties in Minutes: HP 43; GRIM 24.