A short-handed Manning bench was just the tonic the Grimshaw Huskies needed to end a losing skid which saw them lose 10 of 11 games.
GRIM trounced hometown MAN 10-3 Jan. 10 to pull into a second place tie with MAN in the East Division. GRIM [6-9-2-0] has 14 points while MAN [7-10-0-0] has 14. Each team has seven games left including two against each other, but both games are at GRIM Jan. 24 and Feb. 1. MAN would win any tiebreaker based on wins.
GRIM received scoring from eight different players. Brendan Hawryluk and Ty Wiebe each scored twice while Spencer Ross, Bond Hawyrluk, Corson Fairless, Lowen Lambert, Cole Diewert and Kurt Konopelka added the others. Ross, Bond Hawryluk and Diewert each chipped in with three helpers.
Joel Henitiuk, Taylor Paulovich and Tyler Dillman replied for MAN.
GRIM scored early and often. They led 2-0 before the first period was half over. They stretched the lead to 5-2 after one period and led 7-2 after two.
GRIM received power play goals from Konopelka and Wiebe, and short-handed goals from Ross and Bond Hawryluk.
The teams have split their first four meetings this season: GRIM winning 10-3 and 5-1; MAN winning 5-3 and 6-5.
Huskies 10 at Comets 3
Thursday, Jan. 10
1. GH, Brendan Hawryluk 16 (Ty Wiebe) 7:06
2. GH, Lowen Lambert 2 (Sheldon Szmata, Mark Simpson) 9:01
3. MAN, Joel Henitiuk 1 (unassisted) 11:35
4. GH, Ty Wiebe 18 (Brendan Hawryluk, Cole Diewert) 13:36
5. MAN, Taylor Paulovich 9 (Tyler Dillman, Brit Oleschefski) 15:29
6. GH, Cole Diewert 5 (Brendan Hawryluk) 16:31
7. GH, Kurt Konopelka 4 (Bond Hawryluk, Spencer Ross) 18:20 (pp)
Penalties: Kale Helgeson GH (interference) 3:55, Logan Newman MAN (slashing) 17:02, Cole Diewert GH (roughing) and Thomas Simpson MAN (double roughing) 18:47.
8. GH, Spencer Ross 4 (Bond Hawryluk, Corson Fairless) 11:12 (sh)
9. GH, Bond Hawryluk 10 (Corson Fairless, Spencer Ross) 14:50 (sh)
Penalties: Ty Wiebe GH (hooking) 4:29, Jordy Greschner MAN (high-sticking) 7:50, Sheldon Szmata GH (hooking) 10:10, Mark Simpson GH (holding) 14:37, Thomas Simpson MAN (interference) 15:13, Jordy Greschner MAN (high-sticking) 16:21.
10. GH, Brendan Hawryluk 17 (Cole Diewert, Ty Wiebe) 9:35
11. GH, Corson Fairless 4 (Bond Hawryluk, Logan Putio) 14:59
12. GH, Ty Wiebe 19 (Spencer Ross, Cole Diewert) 19:10 (pp)
13. MAN, Tyler Dillman 5 (Taylor Paulovich, Thomas Simpson) 19:22
Penalties: Mark Simpson GH (roughing) and Michael Gillen MAN (holding) 9:47, Logan Newman MAN (interference) 16:10, Thomas Simpson MAN (holding) 17:41.
Shots on goal:
Grimshaw 17 15 17 -49
Manning 12 7 13 -32 Goaltenders: Huskies, Bud Dyck; Comets, Braden Gamble.
Power Plays: GH 2-7; MAN 0-4.
Penalties in Minutes: GH 12; MAN 18.