The Fort St. John Flyers left Falher with a hard-fought 5-3 win Saturday night after rallying from early 1-0 and 2-1 deficits.
Brian Somers scored to give FAL the lead just over six minutes into the game.
However, Adam Horst’s power play goal – his first of two goals on the night – tied the game.
Dallas Brochu restored FAL’s lead with 3:51 left in the period.
In the second period, Reid Campbell tied the game with FSJ’s second PPG of the night. Before the midway portion of the period, Tanner LeSann gave FSJ the lead but less than one minute later Darron Brochu tied the game setting the stage for an exciting third period.
It was Horst’s second goal of the night at the 2:21 mark which proved to be the game-winner. Robbie Sidhu’s empty net goal with 59 seconds left sealed the win.
The game was decided on special teams. FSJ was 2-for-3 on the PP while FAL was 0-for-3.
Goaltenders were outstanding. Dyson Loewen stopped 46 of 50 shots to suffer the loss while FSJ’s Ty Gullickson stopped 37 of 40 shots to record the win.
FSJ is now 6-2 all-time in FAL and 13-3 overall in their team’s history vs FAL.
Flyers 5 at Pirates 3
Saturday, Nov. 24
1. FAL, Brian Sommers 8 (Jeff Chalifoux, Trevor Tokarz) 6:20
2. FSJ, Adam Horst 3 (Jeff Shipton) 11:10 (pp)
3. FAL, Dallas Brochu 9 (Dakota Mason, Rocky Collins) 16:09
Penalties: Dylan Cunningham FAL (tripping) 10:27, Dylan Cunningham FAL (cross-checking) 18:23.
4. FSJ, Reid Campbell 6 (Jeff Shipton, Rick Cleaver) 00:20 (pp)
5. FSJ, Tanner LeSann 5 (Steven Fast, Robbie Sidhu) 8:46
6. FAL, Darron Brochu 1 (Dallas Brochu, Brian Sommers) 9:44
Penalties: Steven Fast FSJ (interference) 9:57, Jordan Gies FSJ (interference) 13:58.
7. FSJ, Adam Horst 4 (Rick Cleaver, Joey Massingham) 2:21
8. FSJ, Robbie Sidhu 4 (Tanner LeSann, Brandon Pfeil) 19:01 (en)
Penalties: Robbie Sidhu FAJ (hit to the head minor, misconduct) 3:45, Jay Bouchard FAL (slashing) 12:38.
Shots on goal:
Fort St. John 20 14 17 -51
Falher 13 14 13 -40 Goaltenders: Flyers, Ty Gullickson; Pirates, Dyson Loewen.
Power Plays: FSJ 2-3; FAL 0-3.
Penalties in Minutes: FSJ 16; FAL 6.