Robbie Sidhu and Brandon Pfeil each scored twice as the hometown Fort St. John Flyers defeated the Grimshaw Huskies 5-3 Jan. 19.
Joey Massingham scored the other Flyers’ goal, shorthanded in the first period.
Brendan Hawryluk, Corson Fairless and Lowen Lambert replied for GRIM.
Hawryluk opened the scoring in the first minute but by the end of the first period FSJ led 3-1.
In the second period, Pfeil’s first made it 4-1.
In the third, GRIM pulled to within two goals at 4-2 but Pfeil’s second of the night with 1:12 left sealed the win.
Fairless added a goal with 13 seconds left to end the scoring.
Coupled with Manning’s 10-2 win over High Prairie, GRIM is three points behind MAN in the battle for second place and home ice advantage in the first round of the East Division playoffs. GRIM virtually needs to sweep the two games left with MAN but they are both in GRIM.
Although GRIM lost, they clinched at least third place with HP’s 10-2 loss at MAN.
MAN can place no worse than third.
Huskies 3 at Flyers 5
Saturday, Jan. 19
1. GH, Brendan Hawryluk 18 (Ty Wiebe, Corson Fairless) 00:21
2. FSJ, Robbie Sidhu 5 (Tanner LeSann) 1:25
3. FSJ, Robbie Sidhu 6 (Rylan Sideroff, Tanner LeSann) 9:34
4. FSJ, Joey Massingham 12 (Rick Cleaver) 18:43 (sh)
Penalties: Jaxon Glass FSJ (hooking) 7:09, Lance Rapson GH (interference) 10:16, Bud Dyck GH (tripping) 11:37, Jeff Shipton FSJ (tripping) 16:51.
5. FSJ, Brandon Pfeil 6 (Lien Miller-Jeannotte, Steven Fast) 5:10
Penalties: Reid Campbell FSJ (tripping) 11:27, Lowen Lambert GH (high-sticking) 14:25, Clayton Bahm FSJ (tripping) 15:11, Kale Helgeson GH and Tanner LeSann FSJ (fighting majors, game misconducts) 19:15.
6. GH, Lowen Lambert 3 (Kyle Richardson) 2:28
7. FSJ, Brandon Pfeil 7 (unassisted) 18:48
8. GH, Corson Fairless 5 (Brendan Hawryluk) 19:47
Shots on goal:
Grimshaw 7 10 15 -32
Fort St. John 15 12 12 -39 Goaltenders: Huskies, Bud Dyck; Flyers, Travis McLean.
Power Plays: GH 0-4; FSJ 0-3.
Penalties in Minutes: GH 21; FSJ 23.