Tanner LeSann’s third period goal proved to be the game-winner as the hometown Fort St. Flyers nipped the Grande Prairie Athletics 5-4 Nov. 30.
The Flyers never trailed in the contest, but the A’s kept battling back to make it close.
Rick Cleaver gave FSJ the early lead in the first period before Mackenzie Caron scored to tie the game. For each player, it would be the first of two goals on the night.
Cleaver would score gain, only to see Braden Crone tie the game 2-2 before the end of the period.
In the second, Kelly Loudoun’s first of the season and Joey Massingham’s power play goal gave FSJ a 4-2 lead.
In the third, Caron pulled the A’s to within one on a PPG at 4:58. LeSann’s goal with 12:36 left proved to be the game-winner.
Darien Fay scored with 3:26 left to pull the A’s to within one goal at 5-4 but they could equalize.
It was already the third game of the season between the teams with the home team winning all three.
FSJ has won seven of the last eight at home vs GP. Over the last two years, the home team is 7-1 in this series with four of the games decided by one goal.
Athletics 4 at Flyers 5
Friday, Nov. 30
1. FSJ, Rick Cleaver 6 (Joey Massingham, Reid Campbell) 4:13
2. GP, Mackenzie Caron 8 (Blake Clement, Dennis Rix) 6:08
3. FSJ, Rick Cleaver 7 (Brandon Pfeil, Rylan Sideroff) 16:15 (pp)
4. GP, Braden Crone 7 (Darien Fay, Parker Sharp) 16:46
Penalty: Tyrell Mason GP (hooking) 14:49.
5. FSJ, Kelly Loudoun 1 (Tanner LeSann) 9:02
6. FSJ, Joey Massingham 5 (Rick Cleaver, Kelly Loudoun) 14:30 (pp)
Penalties: Darien Fay GP (hooking) and Josh Bennett FSJ (unsportsmanlike) 8:06, Joey Massingham FSJ (slashing) 10:31, Dennis Rix GP (cross-checking) 12:56.
7. GP, Mackenzie Caron 9 (Andrew Buote, Blake Clement) 4:58 (pp)
8. FSJ, Tanner LeSann 6 (Sam Brennan) 7:27
9. GP, Darien Fay 2 (Tanner Labbe, Braden Crone) 16:34
Penalties: Jeff Shipton FSJ (slashing) 2:10, Brandon Pfeil FSJ (tripping) 3:50, Dennis Rix GP (boarding) 10:14, Kelly Loudoun FSJ (boarding) 18:30, Blake Clement GP and Jeff Shipton FSJ 9(cross-checking) 19:24.
Shots on goal:
Grande Prairie 10 11 21 -42
Fort St. John 13 11 9 -33 Goaltenders: Athletics, Kiefer Smiley; Flyers, Travis McLean.
Power Plays: GP 1-4; FSJ 2-3.
Penalties in Minutes: GP 10; FSJ 12.