Adam Horst scored three goals and added two assists to lead the Fort St. John Flyers to a 6-3 comeback win over the visiting Grande Prairie Athletics to tie their West Division series 1-1.
Horst and Rick Cleaver gave FSJ a 2-0 lead in the first period.
However, Parker Sharp and Dennis Rix, on a power play, tied the game before the end of the first period.
The lone goal of the second period was scored by the A’s Lyndin Lewis.
FSJ outscored the A’s 4-0 in the third period despite being outshot 10-7. All goals came in the last 11 minutes.
Ryan Carter tied the game 3-3 before Horst gave FSJ the lead they would never surrender. Jaxon Glass scored with 7:18 left, then Horst added his hat trick goal into an empty net on the power play to seal the win. It was already Horst’s fifth of the playoffs in two games.
GP outshot FSJ 35-27 in the game.
Game 3 goes back in GP Saturday night.
Athletics 3 at Flyers 6
Thursday, Feb. 7
[Series tied 1-1]
1. FSJ, Adam Horst 3 (Lien Miller-Jeannotte, Ryan Carter) 3:47
2. FSJ, Rick Cleaver 1 (Tanner LeSann) 6:24
3. GP, Parker Sharp 1 (Tyrell Mason, Andrew Buote) 7:57
4. GP, Dennis Rix 2 (Parker Sharp) 13:07 (pp)
Penalties: Rylan Sideroff (hooking) 11:26, Mark Stojan GP (slashing, unsportsmanlike) 16:33.
5. GP, Lyndin Lewis 1 (Tanner Labbe) 10:44 (pp)
Penalties: Morgan MacLean GP (cross-checking) 2:24, Tyrell Mason GP (tripping) 4:49, Brandon Pfeil FSJ (hooking) 7:54, Jeff Shipton FSJ (tripping) 9:51, Paul Larocque GP (hooking) 13:15, Blake Clement GP and Jeff Shipton (roughing) 13:48, Mark Stojan GP (charging) and Braden Crone GP and Joey Massingham FSJ (roughing) 17:22, Alex Curran GP (slashing) 18:52.
6. FSJ, Ryan Carter 1 (Justin Fillion, Adam Horst) 9:18
7. FSJ, Adam Horst 4 (Jeff Shipton) 9:29
8. FSJ, Jaxon Glass (Adam Horst) 12:42
9. FSJ, Adam Horst 5 (Ryan Carter, Ryan Forbes) 18:59 (pp-en)
Penalties: Jaxon Glass FSJ (slashing) 10:34, Blake Clement GP (slashing) 14:45, Justin Fillion FSJ (holding) 15:58, Lyndin Lewis GP (interference) 18:04.
Shots on goal:
Grande Prairie 15 10 10 -35
Fort St. John 10 9 8 -27 Goaltenders: Athletics, Kiefer Smiley; Flyers, Travis McLean.
Power Plays: GP 2-5; FSJ 1-9.
Penalties in Minutes: GP 22; FSJ 14.