Brett Norman scored twice and six different players scored to lead the visiting Dawson Creek Canucks to a 7-4 win at Falher Jan. 19 over the Pirates.
The win was huge for DC, who takes a three-point lead over Grande Prairie in the battle for first place in the West Division and a first round bye. Each team has three games left to play.
Kenny Murduff’s first of the season gave DC the early lead, but goals from Darren Brochu and Pat Rowan gave FAL a 2-1 lead. Brett Norman, however, tied the game before the end of the first period.
Ben Moffatt scored the only goal of the second period to give DC the lead heading into the third.
The first three minutes of the third period saw a flurry of goals. Kole Norris and Levi George scored 11 seconds apart in the second minute, but Marco St.-Pierre scored only eight seconds after George’s goal to pull FAL to within two goals at 5-3. Later, Dan Aubin’s first of the season make it 5-4, but Evan Weaver scored with 9:04 left to make it 6-4, then Norman added an empty net goal with 53 seconds left to seal the win.
DC can clinch first with a home ice win over GP Jan. 24. With a three-point DC lead, an overtime loss or shootout loss is almost as good as a win for DC, because they win any possible tiebreaker with GP. In that case, DC would still have a two-point lead with two games left.
Canucks 7 at Pirates 4
Saturday, Jan. 19
1. DC, Kenny Murduff 1 (Jeff Taylor, Kevin Swales) 1:35 (pp)
2. FAL, Darren Brochu 7 (Darren Kramer, Pat Rowan) 9:13
3. FAL, Pat Rowan 19 (Brian Sommers, Dakota Mason) 17:15
4. DC, Brett Norman 11 (Ryan Friesen, Tyler Reay) 19:07
Penalties: Brian Sommers FAL (roughing) 1:15, Trevor Tokarz FAL (cross-checking) 6:11.
5. DC, Ben Moffatt 2 (Levi George, Riley Muise) 10:41
Penalties: Brett Norman DC (slashing) 6:50, Darren Brochu FAL (boarding) 14:11, Darren Brochu FAL (cross-checking) 18:20, Kenny Murduff DC (hooking) 18:54.
6. DC, Kole Norris 2 (Brett Norman) 1:35
7. DC, Levi George 7 (Riley Muise, Matt Schmermund) 1:46
8. FAL, Marco St.-Pierre 1 (Jeff Chalifoux, Trevor Mazurek) 1:54
9. FAL, Dan Aubin 1 (Darren Brochu, Trevor Tokarz) 2:34
10. DC, Evan Weaver 3 (Mike Lalonde, Spencer Gover) 10:56
11. DC, Brett Norman 12 (Tyler Reay) 18:07 (en)
Penalties: Pat Rowan FAL (slashing) 4:45, Spencer Gover DC (interference) 12:52.
Shots on goal:
Dawson Creek 16 21 14 -51
Falher 14 8 13 -35 Goaltenders: Canucks, Josh Round; Pirates, Dyson Loewen.
Power Plays: DC 1-5; FAL 0-3.
Penalties in Minutes: DC 6; FAL 10.