The Manning Comets did something last night they had not done all season to tie their East Division Semi-Final series with the Grimshaw Huskies 1-1.
MAN defeated GRIM 7-3 on the strength of two goals from Josh Rutherford, who was playing in his first game since Jan. 10.
What MAN did was score four power play goals. Twice this season they scored three PPGs in a game [vs High Prairie and Falher].
It was a great time for MAN’s PP to catch fire. They had gone six straight games without a PPG [one playoff game and five regular season games] to end an 0-for-26 drought dating back to their Jan. 18 game at home vs FAL.
Michael Gillen scored once and added four assists while Matt Boyd scored once and added two helpers. Adam Larsen, Taylor Paulovich and Thomas Simpson added the other goals.
Josh Peters, on a power play, Ty Wiebe and Christian Kenny replied for GRIM, who outshot MAN 50-36. Goaltender Braden Gamble stopped 47 of 50 shots to record the win.
GRIM led 2-1 after one period on goals from Wiebe and Peters but MAN exploded for five second period goals to take a 6-3 lead. It was a welcome sight for MAN fans who saw their team score only once in the first four periods of the series.
Game 3 of the best-of-seven series is in GRIM Saturday.
Huskies 3 at Comets 7
Friday, Feb. 8
[Series tied 1-1]
1. GH, Ty Wiebe 1 (Lowen Lambert, Josh Peters) 3:27
2. MAN, Michael Gillen 1 (Matt Boyd, Jeremie Perron) 8:16 (pp)
3. GH, Josh Peters 2 (Sheldon Szmata) 19:00 (pp)
Penalties: Lowen Lambert GH (high-sticking) 4:11, Izaak Hudson GH (kneeing) 8:13, Matt Boyd MAN (hooking) 13:28, Layne McLean MAN (slashing) 18:44.
4. MAN, Josh Rutherford 1 (Michael Gillen, Payton Proskurniak) 2:35 (pp)
5. MAN, Thomas Simpson 1 (unassisted) 6:44
6. MAN, Matt Boyd 1 (Michael Gillen, Josh Rutherford) 16:29
7. GH, Christian Kenny 1 (Spencer Ross) 16:35
8. MAN, Taylor Paulovich 1 (Jeremie Perron, Michael Gillen) 19:03 (pp)
9. MAN, Adam Larsen 1 (Taylor Paulovich, Jordy Greschner) 19:50
Penalties: Cole Diewert GH and Matt Boyd MAN (roughing) 1:38, Clint Polukoshko GH (roughing) 2:09, Josh Rutherford MAN (slashing) 4:19, Lowen Lambert GH (holding) 17:37.
10. MAN, Josh Rutherford 2 (Matt Boyd, Payton Proskurniak) 9:49 (pp)
Penalties: Matt Flette GH (holding) 8:42, Matt Boyd MAN (cross-checking) 15:04, Mark Simpson GH and Brit Olischefski MAN (roughing) 17:31, Bond Hawryluk GH (roughing) and Clint Polukoshko GH (roughing, misconduct) and Payton Proskurniak MAN (roughing, slashing, misconduct) 18:38.
Shots on goal:
Grimshaw 19 15 16 -50
Manning 16 11 9 -35 Goaltenders: Huskies, Riley Medvedes; Comets, Braden Gamble.
Power Plays: GRIM 1-4; MAN 4-5.
Penalties in Minutes: GRIM 28; MAN 26.