It took 29 years for the Manning Comets to win a playoff game in Grimshaw.
Now they’ve won two straight.
Josh Rutherford’s third period power play goal led MAN to a 6-5 win and a 3-2 lead in their East Division Semi-Final series against the Grimshaw Huskies Thursday night.
MAN’s win was a remarkable comeback, having seen them down 3-0 in the first period before scoring five straight goals by the end of the second period to lead 5-3.
Brendan Hawryluk, Spencer Ross and Christian Kenny gave GRIM a 3-0 lead just after 10 minutes had elapsed.
However, Tyler Dillman scored unassisted and Matt Boyd before the end of the period to close the gap to 2-1.
In the second period, MAN continued to press. Boyd scored his second of the night to tie the game, then Taylor Paulovich and Payton Proskurniak scored to give MAN a 5-3 lead.
Kenny’s second of the evening closed the gap to 5-4 in the third but Rutherford’s PPG with 7:53 left proved to be the game-winner.
Josh Peters scored with nine seconds left in the period on a power play to close the gap but it was too little too late for GRIM.
Game 6 is at MAN Saturday night with MAN trying to advance to the NPHL Semi-Final against the Dawson Creek Canucks, winners of the West Division.
Comets 6 at Huskies 5
Thu., Feb. 14
[Comets lead series 3-2]
1. GH, Brendan Hawryluk 1 (Bond Hawryluk) 4:19
2. GH, Spencer Ross 1 (Lowen Lambert) 9:36
3. GH, Christian Kenny 2 (Bond Hawryluk, Bud Dyck) 19:20
4. MAN, Tyler Dillman 1 (unassisted) 10:36
5. MAN, Matt Boyd 3 (Payton Proskurniak, Josh Rutherford) 19:47
Penalties: Clint Reid GH (tripping) 11:36, Jordy Greschner MAN (holding) 13:37, Tyler Dillman MAN and Bond Hawryluk GH (roughing) 19:02.
6. MAN, Matt Boyd 4 (Payton Proskurniak, Josh Rutherford) 6:07 (pp)
7. MAN, Taylor Paulovich 4 (Adam Larsen, Jeremie Perron) 6:31
8. MAN, Payton Proskurniak 1 (Adam Larsen, Taylor Paulovich) 18:35
Penalties: Izaak Hudson GH (high-sticking) 5:18, Brit Olischefski MAN (interference) 7:34, Davis Rose GH (unsportsmanlike) 11:39, Matt Boyd MAN (interference) and Tyler Dillman MAN and Mark Simpson GH (roughing) 14:12.
9. GH, Christian Kenny 3 (unassisted) 3:13
10. MAN, Josh Rutherford 3 (Matt Boyd, Michael Gillen) 12:07 (pp)
11. GH, Josh Peters 5 (Ty Wiebe) 19:51 (pp)
Penalties: Brit Olischefski MAN and Colter Wiebe GH (fighting majors, game misconducts) 7:34, Sheldon Szmata GH (holding, unsportsmanlike) 7:58, Mark Simpson GH (tripping) 11:34, Michael Vreeling MAN (hooking) 18:50.
Shots on goal:
Manning 12 10 20 -42
Grimshaw 14 20 9 -43 Goaltenders: Comets, Braden Gamble; Huskies, Bud Dyck.
Power Plays: MAN 2-6; GRIM 1-4.
Penalties in Minutes: MAN 27; GRIM 31.