The Dawson Creek Canucks won their third Lawrence Cup in club history with a 10-2 thrashing over the visiting Falher Pirates Saturday night.
DC left no doubt as to who was the better team, taking a 4-1 lead after one period and 9-1 after two.
Dolan Bjornson scored three goals – a second period natural hat trick – and added two assists while Ryan Friesen also added a hat trick. Kevin Hope added a pair while Ben Moffatt and Jeff Taylor completed the scoring.
Darren Kramer and Trevor Tokarz replied for FAL, who were outshot 45-34.
DC receives a first round bye while FAL prepares to host the High Prairie Regals in the first game of their best-of-seven series tentatively set to begin Tuesday, Feb. 5. After their bye, DC will play either HP, Manning or Grimshaw in the NPHL Semi-Final. If FAL defeats HP in their series they will play the winner of the Fort St. John – Grande Prairie series.
Pirates 2 at Canucks 10
Saturday, Feb. 2
1. DC, Kevin Hope 7 (unassisted) 1:17
2. FAL, Trevor Tokarz 9 (Luke Bellerose) 1:57
3. DC, Jeff Taylor 5 (Mike Lalonde, John Wayne Howes) 2:47
4. DC, Kevin Hope 8 (Dolan Bjornson, Spencer Gover) 5:40
5. DC, Ryan Friesen 7 (Tyler Reay) 9:38
6. DC, Dolan Bjornson 8 (Matt Schmermund, Tyler Reay) 7:45
7. DC, Dolan Bjornson 9 (Kevin Swales) 8:39
8. DC, Dolan Bjornson 10 (Ben Moffatt) 10:52
9. DC, Ryan Friesen 8 (Dolan Bjornson) 11:53
10. DC, Ben Moffatt 3 (Kevin Swales, Kyler Krantz) 16:48
Penalties: Spencer Gover DC (tripping) 2:01, Jeff Chalifoux FAL (roughing, roughing after the whistle) and Kyler Krantz DC (roughing) 19:47.
11. FAL, Darren Kramer 26 (Pat Rowan) 15:00
12. DC, Ryan Friesen 9 (Riley Muise, Colin Mathieson) 16:14
Penalty: Riley Muise DC (holding) 1:36
Shots on goal:
Falher 7 17 10 -34
Dawson Creek 19 15 11 -45 Goaltenders: Pirates, Chad Rycroft (Dyson Loewen in at 11:53 of second period); Canucks, Kenton White.
Power Plays: FAL 0-2; DC 0-1.
Penalties in Minutes: FAL 4; DC 6.