Last year, the Dawson Creek Canucks won two early season meetings over the Fort St. John Flyers before losing the last three.
This year, DC is repeating the trend, as they won 9-7 in FSJ Nov. 16 in the first of six meetings between the teams.
Jonathan Jasper, Mike Lalonde and Matt Schmerund each scored twice while Riley Muise, Dolan Bjornson and Sean Maktaak added singles. Maktaak and Lalonde each added three assists.
Rick Cleaver scored three goals for FSJ in a losing cause. Reid Campbell scored twice and added three assists while Jeff Shipton scored once and added three assists. Tanner LeSann added the other goal.
DC never trailed, taking a 2-0 first period lead before FSJ tied the game. In the second period, DC led 4-2, 6-3 and 7-4 before the end of the period.
In the third, FSJ and DC traded five goals.
In the last nine games between the clubs in FSJ, six have been decided by two goals or less.
The 16 goals tied for second most goals in a game between the clubs in FSJ [FSJ defeated DC 14-3 on Jan. 6, 2005]. It is the third time the teams have played to a 9-7 decision in FSJ, with DC winning two of the three games.
Canucks 9 at Flyers 7
Friday, Nov. 16
1. DC, Jonathon Jasper 1 (Jeff Taylor) 9:19 (pp)
2. DC, Matt Schmerund 1 (Mike Lalonde, Colin Mathieson) 9:41 (pp)
3. FSJ, Jeff Shipton 2 (Reid Campbell, Joey Massingham) 11:42 (pp)
4. FSJ, Rick Cleaver 3 (Adam Horst, Joey Massingham) 15:37
Penalties: Levi George DC (tripping) 2:06, Reid Campbell FSJ (roughing) 9:06, Rylan Sideroff FSJ (tripping) 9:42, Levi George DC (slashing) 11:01.
5. DC, Mike Lalonde 1 (Sean Maktaak, Evan Weaver) 7:05
6. DC, Jonathon Jasper 2 (Dolan Bjornson, Brett Norman) 8:54
7. FSJ, Reid Campbell 4 (Joey Massingham, Adam Horst) 14:51
8. DC, Dolan Bjornson 1 (Brett Norman, Jonathon Jasper) 16:49
9. DC, Matt Schmerund 2 (Mike Lalonde, Sean Maktaak) 17:09
10. FSJ, Rick Cleaver 4 (Reid Campbell, Jeff Shipton) 18:27 (pp)
11. DC, Riley Muise 1 (Levi Geroge, Scott Fisher) 19:44
Penalties: Daylen Pearson FSJ (holding the stick) 4:01, Evan Weaver DC (kneeing) 17:39.
12. FSJ, Rick Cleaver 5 (Adam Horst, Reid Campbell) 4:23
13. DC, Mike Lalonde 2 (Sean Maktaak, Matt Schmerund) 9:24
14. FSJ, Tanner LeSann 4 (Lien Miller-Jeannotte 15:05
15. DC, Sean Maktaak 2 (Mike Lalonde) 17:46
16. FSJ, Reid Campbell 5 (Lien Miller-Jeannotte, Jeff Shipton) 19:07
Penalties: Sean Maktaak DC (hooking) 1:32, Lien Miller-Jeannotte FSJ (hitting from behind minor, game misconduct)) 19:37.
Shots on goal:
Dawson Creek 8 17 4 -29
Fort St. John 10 9 11 -30 Goaltenders: Canucks, Josh Round; Flyers, Logan Edwards.
Power Plays: DC 2-4; FSJ 2-4.
Penalties in Minutes: DC 8; FSJ 18.