There are no longer any perfect teams in the NPHL.
The Grande Prairie Athletics handed the hometown Dawson Creek Canucks their first loss of the season, walking into the B.C city and thumping the Canucks 8-5.
With the win, the A’s took over first place in the West Division [5-1-1-0] for 11 points while DC drops to 5-1-0-0 for 10 points. DC does enjoy one game in hand.
Special teams played a huge role in the game. The A’s scored on their first three power play chances in the first period and were 4-for-9 on the night, while the Canucks were 2-for-9.
GP enjoyed period leads of 3-0 and 6-3, and never trailed in the contest.
Seven different A’s scored, led by Mackenzie Caron’s two goals, one on the PP. He also added two assists.
Tyrell Mason, Morgan MacLean and Parker Sharp scored PPGs while Sheldon McArthur, Blake Clement and Denis Rix each added even strength goals. Rix also added three assists.
Sean Maktaak and Kevin Hope scored PPGs for DC, while Dolan Bjornson, Levi George and Connor Rose added even strength tallies.
The teams have now split two games played in DC this season. DC defeated GP at home 3-2 in OT on Nov. 8.
The three-goal win for GP was rare. Eight of the last 13 games between the teams in DC have been decided by two goals or less.
GP has now won 12 of the last 14 games played between the teams in DC.
Athletics 8 at Canucks 5
Thursday, Nov. 29
1. GP, Morgan MacLean 4 (Braden Crone) 11:29 (pp)
2. GP, Tyrell Mason 2 (Blake Clement, Morgan MacLean) 17:13 (pp)
3. GP, Parker Sharp 3 (Braden Crone, Sam Boseck) 17:53 (pp)
Penalties: Andrew Buote GP (hooking) 00:56, Brock Clement GP and Brett Norman DC (roughing) 6:57, Kevin Hope DC (tripping) 10:05, Jeff Taylor DC (holding) 15:46, Brett Norman DC (slashing) 16:22, Parker Sharp GP (hooking) 18:43, Kevin Hope DC (interference) 18:49, Dennis Rix GP (high-sticking) 19:21.
4. DC, Sean Maktaak 3 (Matt Schmermund) 7:47 (pp)
5. DC, Dolan Bjornson 2 (Connor Rose) 7:58
6. GP, Mackenzie Caron 6 (Tyrell Mason, Dennis Rix) 9:00
7. GP, Mackenzie Caron 7 (Tyrell Mason, Dennis Rix) 10:09 (pp)
8. GP, Blake Clement 4 (Dennis Rix, Mackenzie Caron) 10:24
9. DC, Kevin Hope (Jeff Taylor, Kevin Swales) 19:59 (pp)
Penalties: Connor Rose DC (tripping) 2:04, Morgan MacLean GP (slashing) 5:27, Blake Clement GP (high-sticking) 7:16, Sean Maktaak DC (hooking) 9:57, Mackenzie Caron GP (roughing) and Blake Clement GP (unsportsmanlike) and Sean Maktaak DC (unsportsmanlike, misconduct) 13:06, Tyrone Kipling GP (tripping) 15:49, Tyrell Mason GP (cross-checking) 17:53, Dennis Rix GP (slashing) 18:33.
10. DC, Levi George 1 (Spencer Gover, Jason Higson) 3:43
11. GP, Dennis Rix 5 (Blake Clement, Mackenzie Caron) 9:51
12. GP, Sheldon McArthur 1 (Parker Sharp, Sam Boseck) 11:25
13. DC, Connor Rose 1 (Jason Higson) 19:09
Penalties: Jonathan Jasper DC (interference) 7:30, Kevin Swales DC (unsportsmanlike) 12:22, Braden Crone GP and Dolan Bjornson DC (misconducts) and Evan Weaver DC (kneeing) 13:09, Tanner Labbe GP (unsportsmanlike, cross-checking) and Jeff Taylor DC (unsportsmanlike, slashing)) 17:37, Connor Rose DC (match penalty) 20:00.
Shots on goal:
Grande Prairie 17 8 22 -47
Dawson Creek 11 26 11 -48 Goaltenders: Athletics, Kiefen Smily (Dave Larsen
in at 10:34 of second period, Smiley
back in at 13:06 of second period;
Canucks, Josh Round.
Power Plays: GP 4-8; DC 2-9.
Penalties in Minutes: GP 36; DC 51.