Make it two wins in two games for the Grande Prairie Athletics over East Division opponents this weekend.
GP used a strong second period by scoring five unanswered goals to defeat the visiting High Prairie Regals Nov. 17.
HP led 3-1 after the first period on goals by Lloyd AhKimNachie, Chris LeGresley and Jamie MacMinn, with Morgan MacLean’s short-handed effort providing GP’s lone goal.
The second period proved to be a different story. Mackenzie Caron scored two of GP’s five goals, with Braden Crone, Sam Bosek and Kelvin Neustater adding the others.
Oddly enough, all five goals had a lone assist, and six of GP’s eight goals on the night had a lone helper, with another unassisted.
The second period also continued a horrible trend for the Regals, who have been outscored 21-0 in the second period this season in four games. That is in stark contrast to the first period, where HP has outscored their opposition 7-4.
MacLean scored his second of the game and Caron added his third for GP in the final period while AhKimNachie replied with his second goal for HP, who remain the NPHL’s only winless team at 0-4.
HP has not won in GP in 15 years, losing seven straight games since 2003 with GP scoring at least seven goals in each game.
Regals 4 at Athletics 8
Saturday, Nov. 17
1. HP, Lloyd AhKimNachie 2 (Mitch Price) 00:29
2. GP, Morgan MacLean 1 (unassisted) 11:24 (sh)
3. HP, Chris LeGresley 2 (Lawrence Anderson, John Yellowknee) 11:59 (pp)
4. HP, Jamie MacMinn 2 (Curtis Gladue) 17:16
Penalties: Kelvin Neustater GP (hooking) 7:54, Tyrell Mason GP (tripping) 11:57, Matt MacMinn HP (tripping) 11:28, Chris Lanouette GP (roughing) 15:00, Chris Lanouette GP (hit to the head minor, misconduct) 17:27, Riley Jebb GP (cross-checking) 19:55.
5. GP, Braden Crone 5 (Tyrone Kipling) 1:06 (sh)
6. GP, Sam Bosek 1 (Sheldon MacArthur) 6:36
7. GP, Kelvin Neustaeter 3 (Tyrell Mason) 7:27
8. GP, Mackenzie Caron 3 (Parker Sharp) 11:29
9. GP, Mackenzie Caron 4 (Parker Sharp) 13:55
Penalty: Mitch Price HP (hooking) 15:46.
10. HP, Lloyd AhKimNachie 3 (Chris LeGresley) 5:53
11. GP, Morgan MacLean 2 (Tyrone Kipling) 6:59
12. GP, Mackenzie Caron 5 (Braden Crone, Tyrone Kipling) 19:29
Penalties: Braden Crone GP (roughing) 1:06, Kirk Ruecker HP (slashing) 7:31, Lawrence Anderson HP (unsportsmanlike) 10:18, Lloyd AhKimNachie HP (double roughing) and Chris Lanouette GP (cross-checking, game misconduct) and Braden Crone GP (roughing) 11:02, Tyrel Laderoute HP (hooking) 12:54.
Shots on goal:
High Prairie 16 10 9 -35
Grande Prairie 13 15 15 -43
Falher 15 15 9 -39
Goaltenders: Regals, Matt MacMinn; Athletics, Tyler Boe.
Power Plays: HP 1-7; GP 0-6.
Penalties in Minutes: HP 14; GP 36.