The Grande Prairie Athletics have taken a 3-1 NPHL Semi-Final series lead over the visiting Falher Pirates in a penalty-filled, suspension resulting game that featured nine power play goals, one short-handed goal, and 119 minutes in penalties.
When the smoke had cleared, the NPHL is left to deal with suspensions resulting from three match penalties and a gross misconduct.
More importantly, the A’s will look to close out the series in Falher Saturday night and advance to the NPHL Final.
GP led 4-0 after one period and 6-2 after two and never trailed.
In the first period, Blake Clement, Dennis Rix and Darion Fay scored power play goals in the first 15:35 to stake GP to the big lead. Jon Mirasty added an even-strength goal – a rarity on this night with 4:04 left in the period.
In the second period, Mackenzie Caron scored short-handed and Tyrell Mason on a power play in the first 3:20 and it looked to be a laugher at 6-0.
However, FAL started to slowly climb back into the game. Before the end of the period, Darren Kramer, who would eventually score three power play goals on the night, and Trevor Tokarz scored and it was 6-2. In fact, all FAL goals were power play goals on the night.
In the third period, Dallas Brochu’s power play goal at 1:19 closed the gap to 6-3.
Tanner Labbe’s goal shortly after made it 7-3. He was the seventh GP player to score on the night.
Kramer added a pair of power play goals in the final three minutes to make it close but GP has the game well in hand.
During the game, FAL was 5-for-15 on the power play while GP was 4-for-7.
The following players are all facing two-game suspensions:
– Chris Lanoette of Grande Prairie for a second period match penalty.
– Sheldon Hubbard of Grande Prairie for a second period match penalty.
– Joel Pelletier of Falher for a second period match penalty.
– Marco St.-Pierre of Falher for a third period gross misconduct.
Pirates 5 at Athletics 7
Thursday, Feb. 28
[Athletics lead series 3-1]
1. GP, Blake Clement 4 (Dennis Rix) 4:47 (pp)
2. Dennis Rix 5 (Parker Sharp) 14:19 (pp)
3. GP, Darion Fay 3 (Mackenzie Caron) 15:35 (pp)
4. GP, Jon Mirasty 1 (Blake Clement) 15:59
Penalties: Chris Lanoette GP (roughing) 2:58, Darren Kramer FAL (high-sticking) 3:18, Rollie Gladue FAL (tripping) 4:28, Trevor Mazurek FAL (cross-checking) and Lyndin Lewis GP (roughing) 6:35, Dan Aubin FAL (slashing) 9:26, Trevor Mazurek FL (high-sticking double-minor 13:46, Jeff Chalifoux FAL (misconduct) 15:36, Braden Crone GP (slashing) 17:11, Dennis Rix GP (hooking) 18:02.
5. GP, Mackenzie Caron 4 (unassisted) 1:19 (sh)
6. GP, Tyrell Mason 3 (Blake Clement) 3:20 (pp)
7. FAL, Darren Kramer 6 (Marco St.-Pierre, Trevor Mazurek) 18:06 (pp)
8. FAL, Trevor Tokarz 1 (Dallas Brochu) 18:43 (pp)
Penalties: Blake Clement GP (slashing) 00:45, Marco St.-Pierre FAL (tripping) 1:50, Sheldon Hubbard GP (cross-checking) 4:15, Trevor Tokarz FAL (roughing) and Tanner Labbe GP (cross-checking) 5:12, Chris Lanoette GP (cross-checking) 5:38, Brennan Walker FAL (unsportsmanlike) 8:31, Parker Sharp GP (interference) 14:02, Brennan Walker FAL (boarding, misconduct) and Joel Pelletier FAL (match penalty) and FAL coach (game misconduct) and Brock Clement GP (roughing after the whistle, misconduct) and Jon Mirasty GP (double minor for leaving the bench, game misconduct) and Sheldon Hubbard GP (match penalty) and Chris Lanoette GP (match penalty) 17:22.
9. FAL, Dallas Brochu 9 (Trevor Mazurek) 1:19 (pp)
10. GP, Tanner Labbe 4 (Blake Clement) 4:23
11. FAL Darren Kramer 7 (Pat Rowan, Trevor Mazurek) 17:02 (pp)
12. FAL Darren Kramer 8 (Pat Rowan) 19:44 (pp)
Penalties: Tanner Labbe GP (slashing) 12:43, Darion Fay GP (roughing) 15:27, Parker Sharp GP (boarding) 17:38, Tyrell Mason GP (tripping) 18:00, Marco St. Pierre FAL (interference, gross misconduct) 18:52.
Shots on goal:
Falher 16 15 7 -38
Grande Prairie 9 10 18 -37 Goaltenders: Pirates, Chad Rycroft (Dyson Loewen in at 3:20 of
second period); Athletics, Kiefer Smiley.
Power Plays: FAL 5-15; GP, 4-7.
Penalties in Minutes: FAL 67; GP 52.