Last week the hometown Fort St. John Flyers nipped the Grande Prairie Athletics 6-5.
This time, home ice proved to be a big difference at the A’s whipped the Flyers 7-2.
The A’s never trailed in the game leading 3-0 at the 14:16 mark of the first period. After a scoreless second period, Reid Campbell’s second goal of the game in the first minute of the third period pulled the Flyers to within 3-2 but the A’s scored four goals in the final 17:16 to win.
Kelvin Neaustaeter and Blake Clement each scored twice to pace the A’s attack. Riley Jebb, Mackenzie Caron and Braden Crone scored the other goals. Dennis Rix chipped in with four assists and Caron three.
Kiefen Smiley stopped 34 of 36 shots to record the win. Travis McLean suffered the loss, giving up three goals before leaving the game in the second period. Ty Gullickson gave up the four third period goals.
The A’s fired 50 shots on the Flyers goaltenders.
GP has now won five straight at home over the Flyers and 10 of the last 12.
Flyers 2 at Athletics 7
Saturday, Nov. 3
1. GP, Kelvin Neustaeter 1 (Dennis Rix, Parker Sharp) 4:51
2. GP, Riley Jebb 1 (Dennis Rix, Mackenzie Caron) 5:17
3. GP, Blake Clement 2 (Tyrell Mason, Mackenzie Caron) 14:16 (pp)
4. FSJ, Reid Campbell 2 (Jeff Shipton, Robbie Sidhu) 18:09 (pp)
Penalties: Blake Clement GP (high-sticking) 7:01, Reid Campbell FSJ (tripping) 13:12, Chris Lanouette GP (interference) 16:43.
Penalties: Riley Jebb GP (hooking) 4:07, Tanner Labbe GP (cross-checking) 5:31.
5. FSJ, Reid Campbell 3 (Jeff Shipton, Rick Cleaver) 00:43
6. GP, Blake Clement 3 (Dennis Rix, Mackenzie Caron) 2:44 (pp)
7. GP, Kelvin Neustaeter 2 (Parker Sharp, Tyrone Kipling) 4:19
8. GP, Braden Crone 1 (Tanner Labbe, Andrew Buote) 12:28
9. GP, Mackenzie Caron 2 (Dennis Rix) 16:448
Penalties: Reid Campbell FSJ (tripping) 2:15, Andrew Buote GP (interference) 7:53, Reid Campbell FSJ (slashing) and Chris Lanouette GP (cross-checking) 15:40, Josh Bennett FSJ (holding) and Riley Jebb GP (roughing) 16:45.
Shots on goal: Fort St. John 16 11 9 -36 Grande Prairie 16 16 18 -50
Goaltenders: Flyers, Travis McLean (Ty Gullickson in at 7:13 of second period; Athletics, Kiefen Smiley.
Power Plays: FSJ 1-5; GP 2-2.
Penalties in Minutes: FSJ 8; GP 14.